Friday, October 9, 2009

Blog-iquette

Today I received an email from my Fairy Blogmother, Miss Whistle.  In it, she let me know, in her lovely, English way, that I’ve behaved badly.  I didn’t behave badly on purpose.  But I behaved badly nonetheless.  It seems that etiquette in the blogosphere ("blog-iquette" as I now refer to it) dictates that if someone comments on a post, you (the author) should reply.  Of course that makes perfect sense.  And I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me until now that NOT responding is terribly rude.  Because, of course, if someone takes the time to read a post and respond, the proper thing to do is say "thank you".  And I’m usually quite good at a thank you.  I’ve stacks of stationery ordered for just such a purpose in my real life.  And I even keep stamps in my office drawer because I believe that even in the email/text-happy world we live in, it is still nice to receive a handwritten note in the mail after a dinner party or for a gift.  


But that is in my real life.  Somehow, I act differently in my blog life.  I still treat my blog life as though I am completely anonymous, as though I don't really exist or as though my posts cease to have a life of their own after I post them.  The truth is, I’m rather stunned that ANYONE reads my posts but for Miss Whistle, my mother and my friend, Rebecca, who lives in New York and reads as a way to keep up with the kids.  And so whenever I see a comment on the 43rd Year, I’m so excited that I get sort of giddy – I turn into a teenage girl who is so thrilled that she’s been asked on a date by a cute boy that she doesn’t have the presence of mind to respond.  Instead, my heart races and I fear discovery and fantasize about it all at once.  And so the tremendous “thank you” that is coursing through my blood never makes it onto the page.  


So this is my way of saying a belated THANK YOU to those of you who do read, and my way of sending a big, fat apology to Charlie Circus and anyone else who has taken the time to read and comment only to be seemingly ignored by me.  I’ve NOT ignored you, I swear.  It’s just that I’m so excited you wanted to date me that I’m still blushing in a corner, embarrassed to show my face.  Please forgive me.  I’ll act better in the future.  And thank you, Fairy Blogmother, for letting me know.

8 comments:

So Lovely said...

Mrs L: Its So Lovely "calling" you back. What a sweet comment you left, don't worry yourself - it took me months and months to figure how everything worked.
I pretend most of the work week that I don't have a job. xx

Liberty London Girl said...

Hmm... I sort of agree with Miss W, but I have to admit that it took me about a year, maybe more, to realise that replying to comments was maybe expected. And sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Honestly - sometimes I am too busy, and if a post gets 20 comments... bof, replying gets shunted to the bottom of the pile, I am afraid. LLGxx

Liberty London Girl said...

ps I think actually unless the comment includes advice or support, that visiting the blogs of those that comment is maybe more important and leaving comments there in return, so that is where I generally direct my efforts, rather than my own blog.

And there is my mother (alifereclaimed.blogspot.com), for whom signing into Blogger is the most she can deal with. It takes me about 40 mins just to explain how to read the comments!

Have a lovely w/e LLGxx

Mrs L. said...

Lovely weekend and thanks back to you both! xx

Anonymous said...

Mrs. L, you'd be surprised how many people read your blog! It's terrific. No reply needed...

Susan Champlin said...

This made me laugh and clutch me stomach at the same time—I've been trying to figure out the blogiquette, too, and fear I've been inadvertently rude. I want to respond to comments, but where? On Twitter? Via their e-mail, if you know it? On your own blog? On theirs? Ack! I see from others' blogs that it is nice when the blog writer responds to each commenter, and have been trying to do that. Fortunately, I'm not so popular that it's a time-consuming task :)

Miss Whistle said...

Oops, I've inadvertently become the Emily Post of Posts! It is so tricky. If you've notice, posting on other people's blogs becomes very complicated because the only way to see follow up posts is by subscribing to follow up posts, and when blogs are popular, that does entail quite a lot of extra stuff in one's inbox. And who wants that?(I was tempted to write "huh" there).

MrsL, you always have such impeccable manners, I feel like a cad for pointing out such minutiae. I adore you and your blog. A lot, a lot.

Love,
Miss W

Red Lipstick said...

I'm always wondering if I should comment on the blog or via email. If people have an email, I'll write back, but I'm still learning the correct way. For example, do people go back to my blog and look for a comment (oh, I've been remiss then, and I've got appologies to send!) I think Ms. Whistle is a doll for coaching you ;-)